Wastewater Plant Operator Senior
To perform semi‑skilled and skilled work in the operation of all equipment in a wastewater treatment plant on an assigned shift; and do related work as required. This position is assigned to the Miscellaneous bargaining unit for labor relations purposes and is subject to overtime, standbyand callback assignments.
Positions in this class are normally filled by advancement from the lower class of Wastewater Plant Operator II; or when filled from the outside, require prior treatment plant operation experience.
Incumbents in this position are expected to be proficient at the advanced journey level in all phases of wastewater treatment plant operation. They are distinguished from the Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator II Class by performance of tasks of a more skilled nature and by virtue of the fact that they are required to perform supervisory functions in the absence of the Lead Plant Operator. Personnel in this class are required to have a Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator certification issued by the State of California at the Grade III level.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
General supervision is provided by the Water Quality Control Supervisor. As senior operators, incumbents are expected to perform well without close supervision or direction. They are to lead lower level classes under the direction of theWater Quality Control Supervisorand to act in his/her behalf in his/her absence in completion of assignments and plant operations.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS ‑ Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Operate valves and gates; start and stop pumps, engines and electric motors to control and adjust flow and treatment processes; operate and maintain boilers; perform routine maintenance work on valves, tanks and related equipment and facilities.
- Input plant operation data in computer; plot operational trends.
- Operate SCADA computer system and related software.
- Perform routine plant ground maintenance work including painting and landscape work.
- Connect and disconnect chlorine cylinders.
- Operate treatment plant vehicles and stationary machinery as required.
- Collect samples and perform routine laboratory tests and analyses.
- Perform advanced journey level assignments including the supervision of subordinate personnel and making independent judgments and decisions involving basic plant operations.
- Act as Lead Plant Operator when necessary.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Functions and purposes of wastewater treatment systems.
- Basic mechanical and electrical systems.
- Safe work practices around gases, electricity and chemicals.
- Basic supervisory practices and techniques.
- Implement the principles and practices necessary in the operation of a wastewater treatment plant, including the operation and maintenance of wastewater plant machinery.
- Make routine repairs and adjustments to motors, pumps and other equipment.
- Read meters and gauges correctly and to act quickly and competently.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions and prepare written reports.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Collect samples and perform routine laboratory tests.
- Perform all plant operations without direct supervision, and to lead Operator I/II's.
- Work closely withWater Quality Control Supervisorin development of goals and ideas to improve wastewater system.
- Instruct and train Operator I/II's in journey level functions and duties.
- Monitor and operate facility without the aid of other plant operators.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Three years of experience as a Wastewater Plant Operator in a position comparable to that of a Wastewater Plant Operator II with the City of Turlock.
OR Experience necessary to be eligible for a Grade III Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Certification pursuant to the education and experience requirements of Title 23 the California Code of Regulations "Classification of Wastewater Treatment Plants and Operator Certification."
High School diploma or GED certificate and six college units or CEUís in a related field or scholastic general education (i.e. Speech, Math, English, Science, Foreign Language, etc.) and three college units or CEUís in Supervision or Management for a total of nine college units or CEUís.
OR Education necessary to be eligible for a Grade III Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Certification pursuant to the education and experience requirements of Title 23 the California Code of Regulations "Classification of Wastewater Treatment Plants and Operator Certification."
LICENSE AND/ OR CERTIFICATE
Possession of an appropriate, valid California Driver's License at the time of appointment, to be maintained as a condition of employment.
Possession of a Grade III Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Certificate.
CWEA Certification - Mechanical Technologist, Laboratory Technologist, and/or Electrical/Instrumental Technologist.
Maintain the following physical abilities: See well enough to read, write and make observations, operate hand and power tools, vehicles and heavy equipment; hear well enough to converse on the radio, telephone and in person; bodily mobility to walk, bend, stand, crouch, or climb for extended periods of time, operate assigned equipment and vehicles, and perform heavy manual labor for extended periods; ability to tolerate extreme fluctuations in temperature while performing essential functions, lift equipment as necessary, and be able to climb ladders with a height of forty (40) feet.