Staff Services Technician
Under general supervision, the Staff Services Technician performs routine technical and analytical work involving the compilation, extraction and presentation of statistical and financial data from reports, budget and special projects, performs research and prepares related reports and investigates issues related to departmental operations and reports findings to supervisors.
This position is assigned to the Turlock City Employees Association bargaining unit for labor relations purposes and is subject to overtime assignments.
This position provides paraprofessional/technical administrative support services to management/supervisory staff. Incumbents are expected to demonstrate proficient use of personal computer, spreadsheet, word processing and data base software applications in the performance of assigned duties.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS - May include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assist management/supervisors in implementing, coordinating and tracking departmental projects or program activities related to procedures, reporting requirements, contract and records maintenance and other intra-departmental services.
- Research, compile, interpret and present statistical and financial data in understandable/logical formats.
- Make travel arrangements, maintain appointment schedules and calendars and arrange meetings and conferences.
- Prepare payroll for the department to interface with City payroll system.
- Prepare written reports incorporating research and data presentation in charts and graphs;
- Investigate issues related to departmental operations and reports findings to supervisor or others in written or oral reports;
- Review various processes and procedures, gathers inputs and recommends modification or changes as needed;
- Prepare written reports, manuals, procedures and policy language for review by supervisor;
- Prepare written correspondence related to departmental communications;
- Develop presentation materials for public presentations including charts, graphs and overheads;
- Respond to requests for information from other departments, agencies and the public;
- Assist others in the use of computer applications in office operations;
- Perform other related work as required;
- Principles of public administration and record maintenance practices;
- Advanced computer skills, including word processing and spreadsheet applications;
- Data gathering and presentation techniques;
- Governmental or business budgeting and accounting requirements/processes;
- Work effectively and maintain good relations with City staff, outside agencies, and community groups;
- To learn and apply governmental practices, procedures and codes;
- Follow directions and policies with minimal supervision;
- Actively participate in planning sessions and staff meetings;
- Utilize computers and related software;
- Collect and understand data, analyze it objectively, present it clearly and concisely, and prepare logical and accurate reports with conclusions and recommendations;
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Any combination of experience and education that would be likely to provide the required knowledge and abilities described above is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Equivalent to an Associate’s degree from an accredited two-year community college with a major in Business, Public Administration, or a related field.
Two years of experience performing technical and analytical work involving statistical and financial research and analysis, journey level computer applications and report writing experience, or two years of experience as a Staff Services Assistant with the City of Turlock.
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE
Possession of a valid California Drivers License at the time of appointment, to be maintained as a condition of continued employment.
Maintain the following physical abilities: See well enough to read fine print and view computer screens; hear well enough to converse on the telephone and in person; use of hands and fingers for use of computer keyboard, filing, writing and answering telephone; capable of clear speech; able to lift and carry objects weighing up to 40 pounds; stamina to work long hours and attend night meetings.