Accounts Payable Clerk
Under general supervision from Senior Accounting staff to perform advanced level clerical accounting and financial record keeping activities involving the preparation, processing and maintenance of the City’s accounts payable; prepare and maintain appropriate accounts involving posting and balancing, related general ledger work and other duties as assigned. This classification is assigned to the Miscellaneous bargaining unit for labor relations purposes and is subject to overtime assignments.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Direct supervision is provided by higher level accounting or supervisory positions.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS - Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Receives, distributes and balances statements.
- Operates personal computer, word processing software, spreadsheets, light database functions and performs Accounts Payable and Payroll functions on mainframe computer.
- Audits invoices against purchase orders and demands, initiated on a City-wide basis; verifies encumbrances, research discrepancies, prepare payment requests, verify account numbers and payee, prepare warrant list for presentation to City Council.
- Research and answer vendor, employee and department questions regarding the status of accounts and payments.
- Respond to questions from departments regarding account numbers, balances and correction of posting errors.
- Prepare information for Sales and Use Tax Reports.
- As assigned, performs payroll-related functions including the reconciling of payroll and attendance reports and various payroll report records.
- As assigned, perform various routine clerical duties such as sorting and distributing mail, typing and filing.
- Coordinate telecommunication system service and billing requirements including: All telephone installations and needed repair, review and evaluate new technology in telephone use and data/voice transmission.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Principles and practices of financial recording keeping
- Record keeping and reporting procedures
- Basic accounting principles
- Basic knowledge of spreadsheet applications
- Basic computerized data processing principles
- Modern office methods, practices, procedures and equipment.
- Accurately maintain records and files and prepare financial reports.
- Analyze data and draw logical conclusions.
- Operate a personal computer, mainframe computer terminal, typewriter, calculator and other common office machines.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Two years of increasingly responsible experience in the maintenance of financial related statistical records.
Possession of a High School diploma or G.E.D. Certificate. Additional specialized training and/or college level coursework in accounting or a related field is desirable.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATE
Possession of a valid California Driver License in the category necessary to perform essential duties of the position may be required at the time of appointment. Maintenance of a valid California Driver License is a condition of continued employment.
Maintain the following physical abilities: See well enough to view and work with computer screen for extended periods, read fine print; hear well enough to converse on the telephone in assisting vendors; use of hands and fingers for use of answering telephones, computer keyboard, writing and filing.
Rev. 10/10Reviewed and Approved: PERSONNEL OFFICER