Assistant Public Facilities Maintenance Supervisor
ASSISTANT PUBLIC FACILITIES MAINTENANCE SUPERVISOR
- Lead and assist subordinates in the maintenance, repair and upkeep of parks, buildings, streets and related facilities.
- Acts as project leader on special projects requiring the supervision of other staff to complete projects.
- Inspect and review the work of subordinate personnel.
- Determine type and quantity of material required for landscape of facility repair or installation projects and utilized established procedures to make necessary purchases.
- Perform skilled park and street maintenance and repair work; operate a variety of maintenance equipment including: backhoe, tractor, grader, trencher, gang mower and loader, air compressor and jackhammer.
- Plant, prune, and water trees and shrubs.
- Assist in the performance evaluations of subordinate personnel.
- Maintain a variety of records and reports such as personnel reports, work projects reports, spraying reports and payroll reports.
- Conduct spraying tasks involving herbicides, insecticides and fungicides.
- Train and supervise public maintenance personnel.
- Ensure the application of basic safety rules, in the operation of equipment and work techniques.
- Break up concrete and asphalt; prepare street for patching and paving as assigned.
- Assist Public Maintenance Services Supervisor.
- Perform preventative maintenance on equipment to insure proper and safe operation.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Materials, methods, practices and equipment used in street construction and maintenance activities.
- Technical tree trimming methods, techniques, equipment and procedures to insure safe traffic passage on the public right of way.
- Occupational hazards and standard safety precautions necessary in the work place.
- Operation of heavy or light equipment depending on area of assignment.
- Materials, methods, practices and equipment used in park maintenance, modification and facility repair activities.
- Procedures and techniques used in horticulture.
- Plant pests and diseases, and methods for their control and eradication.
- Methods and practices used in the supervision and training of personnel.
- Plumbing, electrical, cement work, basic carpentry and hydraulics related to the installation of irrigation systems.
- Lead maintenance personnel in the performance of grounds and facility development, repair and upkeep tasks, construction and maintenance of streets, sign installation and painting.
- Perform skilled landscape installation, maintenance and repair activities; read work plans and blueprints.
- Operate a variety of equipment used in street maintenance, repair and tree trimming, park maintenance and ground development.
- Perform a wide variety of skilled street maintenance and repair work.
- Identify park and facility problems and supervise their correction.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Supervise and train subordinates.
- Develop and maintain necessary written records, logs, schedules and reports.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
- Pesticide Applicatorís Certificate
- Playground Safety Certificate
- Certified Pool Operator
Under general direction, ability to perform skilled and lead work over a crew of maintenance personnel in street maintenance, tree trimming, buildings and ground maintenance, and street and sign painting.
This classification is assigned to the Miscellaneous bargaining unit for labor relations purposes and is subject to overtime, call-back and standby assignments.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
General supervision is received by the Public Facilities Maintenance Supervisor.
Supervision exercised includes direct supervision of self-directed work teams and the ability to take the lead role in the more complex and challenging projects.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: Duties may include, but are not limited to:
Requires a minimum of six years experience of work experience, two of which must have been with the City of Turlock, performing increasingly responsible duties in facilities maintenance related to public parks, grounds, streets and buildings. This position also requires a minimum of two years experience performing lead worker or supervisory duties. (Two years of supervisory experience in a related field can be applied to the six year experience requirement.)
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
Requires completion of high school or G.E.D. and 18 college semester units in general education, construction, maintenance, ornamental horticulture or related field. Three of the eighteen units shall be in the field of supervision or management.
LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATE
Must possess Signs and Markings II certification and two of the following certifications at the time of appointment and maintain certificates in current status.
Possession of an appropriate, valid California Class B Driverís License and proof of automobile liability insurance at the time of appointment, to be maintained as a condition of continued employment.
Possession of an Associateís Degree in a related field.
Maintain the following physical abilities: see well enough to read and write, view computer screens, make observations. Use of hands and fingers for use of computer keyboard, copy machine, filing, writing, answering telephones, operating hand and power tools, driving vehicles and heavy equipment; hear well enough to converse on the radio, telephone and in person assisting customers; bodily mobility to walk, bend, stand, crouch or climb for extended periods of time and to operate assigned equipment and vehicles and perform heavy, manual labor for extended periods, able to work at elevated heights for extended periods, able to tolerate extreme fluctuations in temperature while performing essential functions and be able to lift equipment as necessary.