Under direction of the City Engineer this is the entry-level professional engineer classification responsible to perform complex engineering calculations and to review development maps and plans for compliance with City codes and specifications. This classification is assigned to the Miscellaneous Bargaining Unit for labor relations purposes and is subject to overtime, standby and call back assignments.SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
General supervision is provided by a higher level professional engineer. Technical or functional supervision may be received from the Senior Civil Engineer. Responsibilities may include functional supervision of subordinate paraprofessional positions.
Positions in this class perform complex and technical engineering work approaching that of the professional engineering series. Work involves the application of precise sub-professional engineering knowledge and techniques. It is ordinarily performed under the general supervision of a professional engineer who makes general assignments and inspects work to ensure that it is conducted according to instructions and in conformity with accepted engineering standards.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: - Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- To design City projects for streets, water, sewer and other public improvements.
- Review and process improvement plans, development plans, parcel maps and subdivision maps and write conditions for approval.
- Write specifications, prepare designs and calculate cost estimates for various engineering projects.
- Enforce City codes and standards on engineering projects.
- Perform design checks to ensure contractor compliance with City specifications.
- Respond to citizen complaints concerning engineering problems.
- Perform complex engineering calculations.
- Perform field reviews and surveys of various engineering projects.
- Attend Design Review and Planning Commission meetings.
- May represent the department in participation in conferences and meeting with various boards and commissions and other agencies or departments in carrying out assigned duties.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Principles and practices of civil engineering and administration as applied to the design and construction of public works facilities, technical inspection services, design review and other areas.
- Applicable laws, regulations and codes related to development and construction of public works.
- Principles and practices of modern office management.
- Make complex engineering calculations to prepare engineering designs and specifications.
- Review designs submitted by developers and others; identify deficiencies and corrective action.
- Prepare engineering records and comprehensive technical reports.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Make effective public presentations.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Possession of a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering with major coursework in Civil Engineering, or related field. Or four years experience in the engineering field, of which two must be in Public Works Engineering.LICENSE OR CERTIFICATEPossess an Engineering In Training (EIT) Certificate
Possession of a valid California Drivers license at the time of appointment, to be maintained as a condition of continued employment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTSMaintain the following physical abilities: See well enough to drive a vehicle and to make visual inspections; hear and speak well enough to converse on the telephone and in person; be able to communicate clearly without amplification; bodily mobility to move rapidly from one area to another, sometimes over rough terrain; sometimes bending over and lifting up objects