Office Assistant Ii
To perform a wide variety of general clerical and administrative duties in assigned department; maintain records; type reports, memorandums, correspondence and other documents; may perform specialized administrative support duties for the department. This position is assigned to the Miscellaneous bargaining unit for labor relations purposes and is subject to overtime assignments.
This is the journey level general clerical class within the City. Appointment to the Office Assistant II level requires that the employee be performing the full range of duties for the class and meet the qualification standards for the class. An Office Assistant II is expected to perform assigned duties with only occasional instruction or assistance, and work is normally reviewed only on completion. Adequate performance at this level requires the knowledge of general City procedures on ordinances, purchasing, personnel and payroll as well as knowledge of department policies and procedures.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
General supervision is provided by the Department Director, other professional level position, or lead clerical staff member.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS ‑ Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Type and proofread a variety of documents including reports, memos and statistical charts from rough draft, forms, copy, notes
- Perform a wide variety of routine clerical work including filing, billing and checking and recording information on records
- Compile information and data for statistical and financial reports
- Maintain a variety of statistical records; check and tabulate statistical data; prepare simple statistical reports
- May maintain personnel and payroll records of departmental personnel; process a variety of forms to initiate changes in records
- Maintain inventory records; process purchase requisitions; maintain purchase records; resolve errors in orders received and invoices
- Operate adding machine and other office equipment
- Order office supplies; submit expense claims
- Act as receptionist; answer the telephone and wait on the general public, giving information on department policies and procedures as required
- Sort and file documents and records, maintaining alphabetical index and cross‑reference files
- Receive, sort and distribute incoming and outgoing correspondence
- Schedule appointments and various meetings
- Issue, receive, type and process various applications, permits and other forms
- May receive incoming telephone and voice radio calls, secure and record information and use radio to dispatch necessary City services; keep radio contact with City units
- Assist in the training of new personnel
- Utilize personal computer for word processing and data maintenance functions
- May maintain petty cash fund; accept payment of fees; maintain and process cash records
- May provide indirect supervision of Part‑time or seasonal personnel
- Perform related duties as assigned
- English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Basic mathematical computations
- Modern office methods, procedures and equipment
- Organization, procedures and operating details of City department to which assigned
- Uses of personal computers and accompanying software.
- Operate a computer and other office machines.
- Type at a rate of 45 wpm net corrected
- Perform routine clerical work including filing, record keeping and processing mail
- Answer and use a two-way radio
- Schedule meetings and appointments
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Learn office methods, rules policies, ordinances and resolutions
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted during the course of work
- Operate a calculator.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
One year of experience as an Office Assistant in a position comparable to an Office Assistant I with the City of Turlock.
Possession of a High School diploma or a G.E.D. Certificate.LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATE
Possession of a valid California Driverís License in the category necessary to perform essential duties of the position may be required at the time of appointment. Maintenance of a valid California Driverís License and proof of automobile liability insurance is a condition of continued employment.
Maintain the following physical abilities: see well enough to read instructions, read fine print and view computer screen; hear well enough to converse on the telephone and in person; use of hands and fingers for use of computer keyboard, filing, writing and answering telephones.
Reviewed and approved: _________________________________________
Personnel Officer Date