Under the general supervision, purchases materials, supplies and equipment which exceed or are not covered under the City’s purchase card system program, processes contracts; negotiates and administers designated service and/or maintenance contracts/agreements; researches and analyzes a variety of technical and specialized products and/or services; provides assistance to and acts as a procurement advisor to City’s departments and performs other related work as required.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives direct supervision from Senior Accountant and Administrative Services Director.
This classification provides all levels of purchasing support and coordination on a City-wide basis including the performance of technical and administrative functions. This position requires knowledge of public agency purchasing/procurement processes and requirements as well as the special needs of full service municipalities. This position performs day-to-day purchasing support on behalf of the water/sewer treatment plant facilities.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS – Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Purchases supplies, materials, equipment and services in accordance with the City’s purchasing ordinance, policies and guidelines and consistent with the requester’s specifications.
- Contacts supplier/vendors to obtain competitive price bids; determines availability, terms and delivery schedule regarding specific requisitions; evaluates quote/terms; and recommends action.
- Serves as the primary resource to all service area staff regarding all aspects of the purchasing process; advising on purchasing policies and processes; assisting in the preparation of specifications and purchase orders, researching specialty products and/or services; gathering data and providing alternatives.
- Writes requests for proposals in accordance with City’s purchasing policies and guidelines and consistent with requester’s specifications; provides supporting documentation and necessary back-up information; distributes to appropriate and approved vendors; monitors the receipt of responses to ensure timeliness and adherence to bidding process.
- Researches and negotiates designated service maintenance contracts/agreements; administers and monitors contractual terms and obligations on an on-going basis; performs on-site inspections and/or workplace reviews to ensure compliance with agreement.
- Develops and prepares purchase orders and contracts as assigned; processes paperwork and forms; verifies receipt of goods; and resolves discrepancies and problems regarding price, delivery, and/or condition.
- Participates in the maintenance and update of City’s computerized inventory system; re-orders stocked items, supplies and materials according to pre-established minimums/quantities; maintains on-going liaison with Shipping & Receiving regarding inventory levels, substitutions, equivalents, delivery schedules and vendor problems.
- Updates knowledge and stays informed of new products and services available; researches and develops new sources and/or potential sources of supplies, materials, and services; attends professional and industry trade shows, conferences, and workshops.
- Assists in the maintenance of City’s fixed asset inventory; tagging items to the appropriate division; assisting in the tracking and monitoring the movement of fixed assets; and participating in the disposition of surplus and/or obsolete items.
- Provides training to city staff in all facets of Purchasing policies, procedures and processes/systems; review requisitions and purchase orders to ensure completeness and compliance; develops and/or modifies forms and process for maximum efficiency and effectiveness.
- Prepares a variety of staff reports, memoranda, correspondence, spreadsheets, and reports to facilitate communications and understanding of Purchasing policies and process.
- Performs other related work as required.
- Ability to:
- Plan and schedule buying activities consistent with both economy and service.
- Make sound judgments as to quality and quantity of supplies purchased in relation to use.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain accurate records and files.
- Prepare clear and concise specifications.
- Buy effectively considering price, service, quality and delivery.
- Perform accurate basic mathematical functions.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff, vendors, and the general public.
- Knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of governmental purchasing.
- Types and sources of materials, supplies, services, and information on economic conditions, industry trends, commodity pricing methods, discounts and price differentials.
- Terminology used in the ordering of supplies and equipment commonly used by the various City departments.
- Storeroom practices and stock record systems.
- Proper methods of establishing specifications.
- Computers and associated software programs for spreadsheets and correspondence.
Five years of progressively responsible experience in purchasing for a large business, non-profit agency or governmental agency. Up to three years of local government employment qualifies year for year towards the 5-year required purchasing experience.
Sixty units of college course work relating to business, accounting or other closely related field.
Incumbents must file a Statement of Economic Interests.
Possession of a valid California Drivers License issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles at the time of appointment and the ability to maintain it as a condition of continued employment.
Considerable experience and knowledge in governmental purchasing law and procedures.
Possession of an Associate of Arts degree in business administration or a related field.
Maintain the following physical abilities: see well enough to view and work with computer screen for extended periods, read fine print; hear well enough to converse on the telephone in assisting the public with emergency and non-emergency situations; use of hands and fingers for use of answering telephones, computer keyboard, writing and filing.
Reviewed and approved: ______________________________