Senior Recreation Supervisor
Under general direction of the Recreation Superintendent or designee to plan, organize, promote, budget, schedule, direct, evaluate and coordinate assigned City Recreation division and programs with an emphasis on assigned program area (i.e. teen & family, youth, sports, intervention and outreach) general youth, family and community activities. This individual will supervise and provide in-service training for paid seasonal and part-time personnel and volunteers. Performs related work as required. This is an advanced level classification in the Recreation Division Supervisor series. Incumbent also coordinates and oversees work performed by less experienced personnel as assigned.
This position is assigned to the Miscellaneous Bargaining Unit for labor relationís purposes and is subject to overtime, evening and weekend assignments.SUPERVISION EXERCISED AND RECEIVED
General direction is provided by the Recreation Superintendent.
Responsibilities include supervision over assigned program full and part-time, to include seasonal and volunteer personnel. Responsibilities may include indirect supervision of recreation supervisors and/or lower level recreation and office personnel on a project basis.DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
The Senior Recreation Division Supervisor is distinguished from the Recreation Supervisor in that the Senior performs more difficult and technical assignments/projects requiring specialized skill on an independent basis.
This classification may be assigned to any one of the following four specific areas of concentration as distinguished below:
Teen & Family Programs/ Aquatics: Aquatics programs and facilities; instruction and safety classes; special teen and family programs and youth advisory council (13-18 years old) special events, enrichment classes and programs including senior citizens and active adults - write & oversee grants; and staff liaison to affiliated organizations.
Youth: Youth services clearinghouse; Jr. High and after school programs; intervention and pro-active programs; Police Activities League (PAL); youth safety education programs, youth development programs; and special events; staff liaison to affiliated organizations; and write/oversee grants.
Sports: Adult and youth sport programs; sport tournaments and special events; supervision of Pedretti Park sports complex; supervision of Turlock Sports Complex; sports education programs for youth and families; supervision of National Youth Sports Coaches Association training and staff liaison to affiliated organizations; and write/oversee grants, liaison to Municipal Services for Facility/Building maintenance.
Prevention/Outreach: Special populations/senior citizens/prevention/neighborhood programs/associations and outreach education programs and events. Research and write various public safety, education, and recreation safety grants; staff liaison to affiliated organizations; Recreation scholarship programs; and prevention program curriculum design and implementation.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Ė Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Coordinates the activities of the Division with City sponsored, co-sponsored and community non-City sponsored activities.
- Plans, organizes, directs and evaluates assigned portions of city-wide Recreation programs, activities and events; in the area of youth, families, seniors sports, and prevention aquatics.
- Development and implementation of youth, teen and family needs assessment tools.
- Evaluates programs, staff and facilities.
- Develops and assists in initiating new recreation programs/activities and events.
- Plans, recommends and monitors program budgets.
- Serves as staff member or representative to City appointed commissions, committees and/or task forces.
- Trains and orients new full-time and part-time employees and volunteer staff as assigned.
- Conducts regular staff meetings for part-time, seasonal and volunteer personnel.
- Makes inspection tours of Recreation programs/activities and facilities and makes recommendations of improvement.
- Responsible for payroll and time record forms for part-time and seasonal employees, in assigned area.
- Performs various office functions as needed.
- Plans, supervises, and coordinates programs such as; enrichment classes/events/programs, sports leagues, and prevention/intervention activities.
- Responsible for the recruitment and selection of part-time, seasonal and volunteer personnel; including training, evaluations and discipline of part-time and seasonal employees/volunteers and makes recommendations to the Manager or designee.
- Write/submit and oversee grants for Community Services.
- Develop program and activity sponsorships and partnerships.
- Create and develop programs for diverse populations.
- Responsible for marketing publicity and advertisement of Recreation programs and activities through available community resources and new media.
- As assigned, supervises organized community groups and committees in the promotion and organization of Recreation Services and other community programs and use of City facilities.
- Objectives, methods, and techniques of development, planning, and organizing Recreation programs, activities, and events.
- Development of prevention and intervention programs.
- Recreation, social, and education activities suitable for a wide range of age groups and individuals of diverse backgrounds.
- Community organizations and resources availability.
- Program/facility safety and first aid techniques.
- Marketing and promotion techniques.
- Team building concepts and a strong desire to function as a team player.
- City procedures, including purchasing, financing, and budget functions.
- Computer software programs such as WordPerfect, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Word and Netscape.
- Familiarity with web page design, plus Internet usage and protocol.
- Prevention Program curriculum design and implementation.
- Office of Criminal Justice Planning requirements and other related grant/funding agencies.
- Grant funding sources, grant writing and program development.
- Create, organize, and deliver a variety of Recreation programs and activities to all community residents.
- Coordinate, supervise, and direct the activities of paid or volunteer staff engaged in recreation programs and activities.
- Plan, recommend and oversee assigned program budget.
- Create positive community partnerships.
- Train paid and volunteer personnel in the requirements of implementing programs.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
- Prepare and monitor grants
- Leverage City resources though implementation of self-supporting programs.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Plan and promote program activity and evaluate the success of each program and the personnel assigned therein.
Graduation from a college or university with a Bachelorís degree in Liberal Arts, Recreation, or related field.
Minimum of four years of increasingly responsible experience with the City of Turlock as a Recreation Supervisor.LICENSE AND CERTIFICATES
Possession of a valid California Drivers License at the time of appointment, to be maintained as a condition of continued employment.
Possession of a certificate in one or more of the following:
Graduate of the National Park and Recreation Revenue Resources School, N.R.P.A. National Aquatic Management School, Certified Leisure Professional Certificate.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Maintain the following physical abilities: see well enough to read instructions, read fine print, view computer screen, operate vehicles and equipment; hear well enough to converse on the telephone, on the radio and in person assisting customers and program participants; bodily mobility to lift and maneuver program supplies and equipment; use of hands and fingers for use of computer keyboard, copy machine, filing, writing, drive equipment and answering telephones; tolerate extreme fluctuations in temperature while performing essential functions and able to lift equipment as necessary.
December 1997Revised 08/00Revised 03/01
Revised 5/08Reviewed and approved: _______________________________ ________________
PERSONNEL OFFICER DATE