Assistant Land Surveyor
- Performs field survey work and directs work of survey crews; operates survey equipment including theodolite, levels, electronic measuring devices and other equipment to measure distances, horizontal angles and elevations.
- Inspectswork to ensure that it is conducted according to instructions and is in conformity with accepted land surveying standards.
- Perform in depth research of various records pertaining to current survey projects; refer to parcel maps and other related materials.
- Maintain accurate, orderly and legible field notes of survey work performed including lines, angles, distances, benchmarks and mathematical calculation; operates a computer and peripheral equipment to compile survey notes and creates drawings as required.
- Enforce City codes and standards on construction projects related to property boundaries, legal descriptions, rights of ways and construction specifications of public improvements.
- Perform design checks to ensure contractor compliance with City specifications related to slopes, grades and elevations.
- Respond to citizen complaints concerning engineering problems.
- Perform detailed preliminary, topographic, construction, property, geodetic and other engineering surveys; estimate grade and elevation of projects.
- Maintain City monumentation; replace monuments as needed; maintain and update records to ensure accurate survey activities.
- Perform field reviews and surveys of various engineering projects.
- Perform survey activities in a safe and effective manner.
- Participate in a variety of special survey projects as assigned.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Principles and practices of land surveying as applied to the design and construction of public works facilities, technical inspection services, design review and other areas.
- Applicable laws, regulations and codes related to development and construction of public works.
- Principles and practices of modern office management.
- Design and construction theory and engineering design standards.
- Perform complex survey activities and lead survey crews as required.
- Gather, interpret, record and apply field notes in the performance of survey duties.
- Prepare and maintain accurate survey records.
- Inspect/review development and capital projects for compliance with City standards and City approved improvement plans.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Apply and interpret codes, specification and maps in carrying out duties.
- Use algebraic formulas, trigonometry and statistical mathematics to accomplish the level of work described.
- Make effective public presentations.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
Under direction of the City Engineer, incumbents are responsible to perform complex survey calculations, perform field surveying work, and review development maps and plans for compliance with State and Municipal codes and specifications relative to property boundaries, legal descriptions and appropriate right of ways and public utility designations and construction standards.
This classification is assigned to the Miscellaneous bargaining unit for labor relations purposes and is subject to overtime, call-back and standby assignments.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Incumbents may receive functional or technical supervision from the Supervising Civil Engineer.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS - Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Increasingly responsible levels of land surveying experience including two years of experience surveying public improvements (e.g. roads, underground construction, rights of way and preparing related legal descriptions).
High school diploma or GED certificate supplemented by college coursework in the field of land surveying.LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATE
Possession of a Land Surveyor in Training Certificate or Engineer in Training Certificate within twelve (12) months from date of employment.
Possession of a valid California Class C Driverís license at the time of appointment to be maintained as a condition of continued employment.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Maintain the following physical abilities: See well enough to operate vehicles and survey equipment, read instructions and follow directions; hear well enough to distinguish mechanical noises, to converse on the radio, telephone and in person; bodily mobility to walk, bend, stand, crouch or climb for extended periods of time; ability to operate survey equipment; use hands and fingers for writing, typing, drafting, manipulating precision tools and equipment and other computer related functions; able to lift equipment as necessary; able to tolerate extreme fluctuations in temperature while performing essential functions and be able to lift equipment as necessary.