To perform a wide variety of highly responsible independent clerical accounting and records processing duties and maintenance including major assignments in business licenses, payroll, permit applications and utility billing; work directly with the public in response to inquiries about a variety of accounting functions. This classification is assigned to the Miscellaneous bargaining unit for labor relations purposes and is subject to overtime assignments.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from Division Manager. May, on assignment, provide supervision of Account Clerk staff.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS ‑ Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Process business license and permit applications, to include the identification of the type of request, review of application, computation of fees and issuance of license or permit. Research inquiries and process discrepancies to resolution.
- Assist in other responsible accounting functions such as payroll, utility billing and general record keeping.
- Maintain computerized record keeping of completed and issued business licenses, permits, and payroll as assigned.
- Process a variety of record updating and maintenance activities, including the mailing of notices and receiving payments and documents.
- Research and verify accuracy of records/documents related to job assignments. May require verification through inspection or other public documents.
- May coordinate the issuing of licenses/permits with appropriate agencies, City offices and enforcement organizations.
- Compose official correspondence and other public information documents for the department.
- As assigned, supervise, evaluate and train account clerical staff.
- Provide information in person or by telephone when judgment, common knowledge and interpretation of departmental and City policies and regulations are necessary; provide customer and public assistance.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Principles and practices of bookkeeping.
- Modern office practices, procedures, methods and equipment.
- Computer systems and applications
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Five years of progressively responsible technical clerical, accounting, or business experience with an emphasis on communication and public contact of which one must be at the advanced journey level. Supervisory experience preferred.
Equivalent to an Associate of Arts Degree (approximately 60 semester units) in Accounting, Business Administration or related field.
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE
Possession of a valid California Driver's License at time of appointment, to be maintained as a condition of employment.
Maintain the following physical abilities: see well enough to view and work with computer screen for extended periods, read fine print; hear well enough to converse on the telephone in assisting the public with emergency and non-emergency situations; use of hands and fingers for use of answering telephones, computer keyboard, writing and filing.
NOTE: This classification is not part of the flexible staffing account clerical series. Promotion to this classification will only be on a need basis and must be requested by the Department Director and approved by the Personnel Officer.