Account Clerk I
ACCOUNT CLERK I
Under direction to perform responsible account clerical workinvolving the processing and maintenance of financial or statistical records inan accounting system. This classification is assigned to the Miscellaneousbargaining unit for labor relations purposes and is subject to overtime assignments.
This is the entry level clerical accounting classification.The class is distinguished from the II level in one of two ways:Work is performed under close and continuous supervision andinvolves a group of closely related duties within established procedures. Whilea variety of tasks may be assigned, each usually fits a familiar pattern andchanges in procedure or exceptions to rules are explained in detail as theyarise.Used as a trainingclass for flexibly staffed positions.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXCERCISED
Immediate supervision is provided by higher level accounting or supervisory positions.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS – Duties may include, but are notlimited to, the following:
- Participatein the preparation of accounts payable and accounts receivable, as well ascontrol and account verification of an accounting system.
- Openand close accounts; maintain various ledgers, registers and journals accordingto established account classifications.
- Auditinvoices against purchase orders; verify encumbrances; research discrepancies;approve for payment and post to the proper account.
- Preparebillings and related correspondence for accounts receivable.
- Postbond payments; prepare monthly revenue reports; and reconcile checkingaccounts.
- Mayoperate cash register and related office equipment in receiving and processingutility bill payments and other City funds; process warrants and City payrollchecks, prepare cash balances.
- Auditvarious claims for payment including those for telephone invoices; prepare forcheck writing and input to data processing.
- Acceptand process applications and payments for utility service and various licenses,permits and fees, including new service and changes in services; explainbilling and other regulatory policies and procedures to customers.
- Preparea variety of financial statements and costs and statistical reports.
- Interpretcomputer reports.
- Performvarious routine clerical duties such as typing and filing.
- Operatesword processor and data base software on personal computer or performs datainput into mainframe computer.
- Performrelated duties as assignedMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONSKnowledge of:
- Modernoffice practices and procedures.
- Businessarithmetic and basic accounting record keeping.Ability to:
- Operate a typewriter, calculator, and other common officemachines
- Learn to operate a cash register.
- Keep financial and statistical records.
- Perform basic word processing duties.
- Perform varied clerical work.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and inwriting.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships withthose contacted in the course of work.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Experience: One year of clerical experience including some financial and statistical recordkeepingEducation:Possession of a High School diploma or G.E.D Certificate.
Possession of a valid California Drivers License in the categorynecessary to perform essential duties of the position may be required at thetime of appointment. Maintenance of avalid California Driver’s License is a condition of continued employment.
Maintain the following physical abilities: see well enoughto view and work with computer screen for extended periods, read fine print;hear well enough to converse on the telephone in assisting the public withemergency and non-emergency situations; use of hands and fingers for use ofanswering telephones, computer keyboard, writing and filing.
Reviewed and Approved: Personnel Officer