Facilities Maintenance Assistant
- Performs a variety of unskilled and semiskilled laboring tasks in the maintenance and repairs of public works and related facilities, City owned equipment and other properties.
- Performs basic ground maintenance such as minor irrigation maintenance, planting, mowing, edging, trimming, weeding, and staking trees and shrubs.
- Turn on valves to water lawns, trees and shrubs.
- Assist in the application of herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers utilizing appropriate containers and equipment provided for such purposes
- Clean and maintain restrooms, building floors, walls, ceilings, windows, fixtures, pick up litter and dump garbage.
- Operate equipment needed to remove graffiti such as pressure washers, sand blasters, etc.
- Assist in the removal of graffiti from public and private areas.
- Assist in the mowing and edging of lawns utilizing a variety of equipment including: walk-behind mowers, deck mowers, gas edgers and tractors with attachments.
- Assist in the repair and maintenance of park playground equipment; perform minor plumbing and sprinkler repairs, which require the use of hand tools and small motorized equipment.
- Perform minor routine maintenance on equipment.
- Operate a variety of hand and power tools which could include edgers, saws, drills, floor buffers, vacuums, and blowers used in building and grounds maintenance.
- Assist in setting up and taking down tables, chairs, decorations, etc. for City sponsored activities.
- Assist in the maintenance and preparation of athletic fields.
- Assist in the repair and patching of City streets including: sign repair, button installation and street painting
- Participate in concrete work such as assisting in curb, gutter and sidewalk repair.
- Assist in the set up, maintenance and removal of barricades.
- Clean and care for tools and equipment.
- Assist in the removal of leave from City street trees.
- Assist in the trimming, pruning and removal of trees.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Under direct supervision, to assist in the performance of unskilled and semi-skilled tasks in the maintenance and repairs of public works and related facilities, and perform other necessary work as required to meet City needs. This classification is assigned to the Miscellaneous bargaining unit for labor relations purposes and is subject to overtime, call-back and standby assignments.
This job classification is distinguished from the Maintenance Worker classification series in that this classification is not expected to function at the same skill level and will generally exercise less independent discretion and judgment on matters related to work procedures and methods.
Incumbent Facilities Maintenance Assistants will not be eligible to promote to the Maintenance Worker series though flexible staffing. Promotion to the Maintenance Worker series shall be based upon possession of all minimum qualifications and the availability of a full time opening.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Immediate supervision is provided by employees assigned to the Maintenance Worker Series. General supervision is provided by the Division Supervisor and the Neighborhood Services Supervisor.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS - Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
Basic uses and purposes of tools, materials and equipment which are used in buildings, streets, grounds and parks maintenance.
Safety precautions used in general maintenance work.
Understand and carry out oral and written instructions required for successful job performance.
Communicate clearly and concisely.
Repair vandalized property within public areas.
Assist in the removal of public nuisances such as weeds, furniture, garbage refuse,etc. in City right-of-ways.
Perform unskilled and semi-skilled tasks in the maintenance of streets and related public works facilities.
Perform heavy physical labor.
Learn to operate a variety of basic tree trimming equipment and tools.
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others contacted during the course of work.
Learn to operate a variety of basic parks, streets and building maintenance equipment, mechanical equipment, hand tools, power tools and vehicles used in parks, streets and buildings in a safe and effective manner.
Learn to apply pesticides and herbicides in a safe and effective manner.
Perform routine maintenance assignments without direct supervision.
Lift on a frequent basis 25 pounds and an infrequent basis 40 pounds.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
One year of experience performing routine maintenance and repair of equipment and facilities as described herein.
Ability to read and write well enough to perform the essential functions of the job.
Graduation from High School or G.E.D. Certificate
Basic knowledge of minor plumbing and carpentry work.
Basic tree trimming methods, techniques, equipment and procedures.
Operation and use of a variety of light mechanical equipment, such as trimmers, mowers, tampers, tractors and compressors including safety precautions and practices.
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE
Possession of an appropriate, valid California Driver's License at the time of appointment, to be maintained as a condition of continued employment.
Maintain the following physical abilities: see well enough to read and write and make observations and to operate hand and power tools, vehicles and equipment; hear well enough to converse on the radio, telephone and in person; bodily mobility to walk, bend, stand, crouch or climb for extended periods of time and to operate assigned equipment and vehicles and perform heavy, manual labor for extended periods, able to tolerate extreme fluctuations in temperature while performing essential functions and be able to lift equipment as necessary.