Under direction of the Support Services Supervisor, performs a variety of technical, analytical and accounting duties involving the analysis and implementation of payroll regulations and laws, and the processing of City wide payroll and preparation and maintenance of general ledger records; prepares payroll reports required by outside agencies; provides technical assistance to City staff and responds to employees inquiries regarding payroll; may perform general office support duties; and perform other related duties as assigned.
This classification is assigned to the confidential bargaining group for labor relations purposes.
This confidential, single position classification performs paraprofessional payroll and accounting work as required. Incumbents perform the full range of duties requiring specialized knowledge and training in the payroll administration area. Incumbents are expected to perform more difficult and responsible duties and exercise independent judgment in resolving problems within established department guidelines.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from the Support Services Supervisor. Exercises no routine supervisory responsibility, but may direct the activities of payroll assistants on an occasional basis.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: - Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for the preparation and processing of the City’s payroll
- Assures compliance with City, State and Federal requirements.
- Maintains and prepares payroll-related records and reports to assist with various management-based projects.
- Prepares payroll journal entries.
- Answers payroll-related questions from employees.
- Prepares a variety of financial reports for multi-departmental use.
- Maintains records of employee benefits to include vacation, sick leave, etc.
- Assist with the administration of the City’s compensation plans.
- Work with the Department of Human Resources on a routine operational basis to carry out various confidential personnel transactions; such as salaries, benefits, promotions, special pays, reclassifications, demotions, suspensions, terminations and other related matters.
- Prepare quarterly, annual and W-2 tax reporting statements; process retirement plan contributions.
- Research and resolve discrepancies or problems with a variety of vendors and governmental agencies, implement provisions and associated changes in employee bargaining agreements on the payroll system; coordinate with outside vendors, plan sponsors and governmental agencies.
- Payroll-related laws and regulations.
- Accounting principles and procedures.
- Methods and practices of payroll processing.
- Financial mathematics and statistics.
- Methods and practices of financial record-keeping and report preparation.
- Organize, prioritize and coordinate work activities in a confidential manner.
- Read, interpret and apply rules, policies and procedures.
- Maintain detailed and accurate payroll records.
- Provide accurate paychecks to employees and generate related reports.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with city staff, public agencies, the business community and the general public.
- Operate standard office equipment including desktop computers.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with others and work with limited supervision.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Three years of increasingly responsible accounting work with an emphasis in payroll processing.
Equivalent to an Associate Degree in accounting, business administration or a related field.
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE
Possession of a valid California Driver's License at time of appointment, to be maintained as a condition of employment.
Maintain the following physical abilities: see well enough to read instructions, read fine print and view computer screen for extended periods; hear well enough to converse on the telephone and in person; use of hands and fingers for use of computer keyboard, ten key, filing, writing and answering telephones.