To perform professional accounting work; record and report financial transactions in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles; review accounting records for accuracy; prepare financial reports, statements and special financial analyses for both internal and external customers; and review accounting transactions for accuracy.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
This is an entry level position in the professional accounting series. The position will receive direction and supervision from the Accountant II, the Senior Accountant and/or the Administrative Services Director.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: - Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist in the performance of a variety of accounting duties related to the operation and maintenance of City-wide and multi department accounting records.
- Assist in the reconciliation of various general ledger and subsidiary accounts. Prepare related journal entries to be reviewed and posted by Accountant II or Senior Accountant.
- Assist in the reconciliation of the Cityís cash accounts on a monthly basis. Prepare related journal entries to be reviewed and posted by Accountant II.
- Assist in the preparation of work papers and other reports for other governmental agencies.
- Assist Accountant II in the maintenance and reconciliation of the Cityís fixed asset records. Prepare related journal entries to be reviewed and posted by Accountant II.
- Provide assistance and information to outside auditors as requested.
- Under the guidance of the Accountant II or Senior Accountant, assist other City departments with the financial aspects of special projects.
- Recommend changes in accounting and auditing systems, policies and procedures.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Generally accepted accounting principles and governmental accounting principles and standards.
- Theories, principles and practices of governmental budgeting and finance.
- Computer software applications used in the accounting office environment.
- Modern office practices, procedures, methods and equipment.
- Statistical concepts and methods.
- City policies and procedures.
- Examine and verify financial documents and reports.
- Prepare a variety of financial statements, reports and analyses.
- Use computer and software programs effectively.
- Maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
- Organize and manage time to effectively complete assigned projects.
- Present ideas effectively orally and in writing.
One year of accounting related experience.
Possession of a Bachelorís Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting, business administration, economics or related field.
Accounting experience in governmental accounting.LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATE
Possession of a valid California Driverís License in the category necessary to perform essential duties of the position may be required at the time of appointment. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to a physical disability will be considered for accommodation on a case-by-case basis. Maintenance of a valid California Driverís license and proof of automobile liability insurance thereafter is a condition of continued employment.
Maintain the following physical abilities: See well enough to read instructions, read fine print, view computer screen, operate vehicle and related equipment; hear well enough to converse on the telephone and in person, assist the public and other staff; use hands and fingers for use of computer keyboard and mouse, adding machine, copy machine, filing, writing, drive vehicles and answer telephone.