Account Clerk, Senior
Under general supervision, to perform advanced journey level clerical accounting and financial record keeping activities involving the preparation, processing and maintenance of the City's accounts payable and to prepare and maintain appropriate accounts involving posting and balancing, related general ledger work and other duties as directed. This position is assigned to the miscellaneous bargaining unit for labor relations purposes and is subject to overtime assignments.
The Senior Account Clerk position is distinguished from the Account Clerk II in that the Senior Account Clerk is assigned more complex assignments carried out with a greater level of independence.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
General supervision is provided by higher level accounting or supervisory positions. May exercise occasional technical supervision over entry and journey level staff.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS - Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Receives, distributes and balances statements.
- Audits invoices against purchase orders and demands, initiated on a City-wide basis; verify encumbrances, research discrepancies, prepare payment requests, verify account numbers and payee, prepare warrant list for presentation to City Council.
- Research and answer vendor, employee and department questions regarding the status of accounts and payments.
- Respond to questions from departments regarding account numbers, balances and correction of posting errors.
- Prepare reports on revenues and expenditures.
- Prepare information for 1099's forms and Use Tax Reports.
- As assigned, performs payroll-related functions including the reconciling of payroll and attendance reports and various payroll contributions report records.
- Perform special account clerical assignments/ projects independently.
- Perform technical supervision or lead work as required.
- As assigned, key in and produce payroll registers and checks. Perform various routine clerical duties such as sorting and distributing mail, typing and filing.
- Coordinate telecommunication system service and billing requirements including: All telephone installations and needed repair, review and evaluate new technology in telephone use and date/voice transmission.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Principles and practices of financial recording keeping.
- Record keeping and reporting procedures.
- Basic accounting principles.
- Journey level knowledge and application of spreadsheet and data processing functions.
- Modern office methods, practices, procedures and equipment.
- Accurately maintain records and files and prepare financial reports.
- Analyze data and draw logical conclusions.
- Operate a computer terminal, typewriter, calculator and other common office machines.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Six college units or CEUís in a related field or scholastic general education (i.e. Speech, Math, English, Science, Foreign Language etc) and three college units or CEUís in Supervision or Management for a total of nine units or CEUís.
Three years of experience as an Account Clerk in a position comparable to an Account Clerk II with the City of Turlock.
LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATE
Possession of a valid California Driverís License in the category necessary to perform essential duties of the position may be required at the time of appointment. Maintenance of a valid California Driverís License is a condition of continued employment.
Maintain the following physical abilities: see well enough to view and work with computer screen for extended periods, read fine print; hear well enough to converse on the telephone in assisting the public with emergency and non-emergency situations; use of hands and fingers for use of answering telephones, computer keyboard, writing and filing.NOTE: In addition to the requirements above, promotion to the Senior Account Clerk classification will require a test process to validate ability to perform higher level tasks.