Installing smoke detectors is the smart thing to do. It's also the safe thing to do. The Turlock Fire Department has developed a smoke detector program to help protect the citizens of Turlock and their loved ones from a devastating fire by installing and maintaining their smoke detectors.
Follow these tips to help save your life & property from fire:
- For bare minimum protection, install a smoke detector outside of each bedroom or sleeping area in your home.
- Keep your bedroom doors closed while you are asleep. Or even better install detectors on every level of your home.
- Keep your smoke detectors properly maintained. Test them once a month to ensure that they are working properly.
- Every Spring and Fall when you change your clocks, remember to change your smoke alarm batteries. Use only the type of batteries recommended on the detector.
- Develop an escape plan and review the plan with all members of the family frequently. Be aware that children and elderly people may need special assistance should a fire occur. See Planned Escape from Fire.